Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Do not fear ANYTHING except the Lord our God


Hello everyone!

To pick up where my dear roommate, Chelsea, left off, I need to start this update by saying: “YES! I am alive and well!” Last week both Chelsea and I had suffered temporary sicknesses that set us on bed rest. But we are up and moving again with as much speed and enthusiasm as before the sicknesses. Please, as the Lord brings us to mind, continue to pray for us that our bodies would be completely restored——— OR that the Lord would continue to grow us spiritually and refine our characters to be more like Him as we cheerfully endure any internal pains.  …Ya know, the latter of the two is the prayer we would most prefer (I can speak on Chelsea’s behalf for that as well).

Friday night we had a gathering at the home of one of our dear church families. Though I was still recovering and “arguing with my intestines” (as Chelsea so kindly put it) I elected to teach during the Bible study. I had planned to speak from Matthew 21 on Jesus’ parable about two sons, but during the time of singing, the Lord directed me to His words from Matthew 28:5-10 and 1 Corinthians 15:50-58. We have no reason to fear death or continue to mourn for those who have passed on, because in eternity lies all of our hope and expectations. It is the fulfillment of all we’ve been longing for. I told how since I was young I’ve often thought of death and, through sicknesses as a child, wondered how long I would live and if I was ready to die. Instead of shying away, I am eager for the day when I will step out of this earthly self and enter my true, eternal home. I do not fear death; I long for it, because I long for the life beyond, with my Love and Lord: Jesus Christ!

I believe it was the Lord’s timing and wisdom for these words to be spoken. The family hosting the evening had recently lost a grandparent and many others there were also still mourning for loved ones. Also, they knew I was recovering from being sick and, as I do most times I’m sick, I had once again been thinking about the possibility of me dying. May we all look beyond the now and lose all fears in this life, save the holy fear of God. “Death has been swallowed up in victory!” (Isaiah 25:8).

Saturday was another day of resting and recovering for the most part. We did go “treasure hunting” with Suhasini and found another mosquito net for Chelsea and I to use (if you remember, we had received one twin-sized net from our neighbor, Premeela, over two weeks ago). We now sleep on our own cots again—each under her own mosquito net—and no longer share the unwanted body heat that comes from sleeping in such close proximity as one cot affords…though I do miss the extra closeness of our unbarriered slumber parties :)

Sunday morning I taught the children a cup/hand-clap game while we waited for all the kids to arrive. I think with practice, it will be a huge success!  This week’s lesson was on Jesus walking on water and Peter’s faith/doubt as he walked toward his Rabbi. We left the children with the clear message that if the Lord calls us to do something (instruction from the Bible, or special direction spoken to them) then He really believes we can do it through His strength. Our confidence should be in His belief in us and we should not doubt that we can do what He calls us to do.

On Sunday evening we traveled to a nearby village for their evening church service. Over the past several years, this little flock has grown from just a few people to several dozen. We were so glad to participate in their service at this little village building and be an encouragement to them and a demonstration to the small community of their value and importance. Because it was Sunday night and not too far away, we were able to bring many members of our host family (9 - including us). We all piled into the jeep and enjoyed a bouncy trip out and back to attend this gathering.  We arrived to hear enthusiastic singing coming from the little yard of the thatched-roof, in-ground church building.  I think we are finally getting used to the volume at which the Indian people routinely broadcast their events. The large megaphone speaker was setup in the yard, facing the building next door and cranked up to its loudest. I’m sure the bricks of the neighbor’s house were shaking in their mortar as the songs about our Lord and the message of truth were proclaimed to its plastered and whitewashed walls :)

Concluding the singing, Pastor David spoke for several minutes and then requested us to stand and encourage the believers. I gave a short introduction about Chelsea and me, expressing our deep joy at being privileged to fellowship with these believers. Following, we sang an English song and a Telugu song for them (the Telugu song is a newer one we had recently learned and we need a bit more practice with it…insert funny grimacing face…). Chelsea then poured out of her heart a message from the Lord about disciples and the power that true Disciples of Christ have in affecting their communities and the world. She exhorted them to be faithful in passionately seeking to be like their Lord, and she encouraged them in their potential to affect their entire village and even the surrounding villages.  Praise our Lord for these words. May His people turn their hearts fully to Him that a greater passion and witness may be birthed in them!


I believe this, my dear readers, is a faithful retelling of the major events (with a few added, silly details) from Friday through Sunday night. How often I am reminded that we are mere humans and have no idea what the future really holds. In this lies our greatest opportunity for trusting our Lord. Monday and Tuesday were full of more great adventures and experiences from which we both still have much to process …                 …but that is another story (for tomorrow, I hope).

Andariki Vandenalu

PS: Tomorrow night we will be leading the youth meeting that is held on Thursday nights at the local Baptist Church. They announced this Sunday that we would be coming. Please pray that our Lord would grip their hearts with a fascination for Him and a longing to know and be like Him. To our understanding, we have been given full control of the evening and I feel a great weight of opportunity from my Lord. May we be faithful to do all that He tells us, whether prepared beforehand or during the service.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Lord. We pray that this evening was powerful to the youth that they would feel the presence of Your Spirit - even as they go to sleep tonight. Give them dreams/visions of You and deeper revelations of what Bethany and Chelsea have shared. Lord, thank you in advance for the great fruit You are working in their hearts from tonight's meeting! Oh how we praise You!

    ReplyDelete